Thursday, November 3, 2011

Celery Root Soup

About a week ago I was on my way to the store and Casey was home watching the kids...pure bliss!  Grocery shopping with 3 little ones is sometimes a bit chaotic, so when I have the chance to go all by myself I go!  He called me and asked me to buy some heavy cream and celery root so he could make some soup.  I obliged, and then he ran out of time to make it :( So I decided to try and make it myself tonight!

This soup is really delicious.  It has almost a potato soup consistency and tastes really fresh!  I didn't make this soup until after my kids had already had dinner, but when it was done they were all standing around begging for tastes!  This is a really simple soup to make, and is sure to impress!

Celery Root was in my grocery store, but mislabeled as Beet Root.  The poor cashier didn't know what to do when it was ringing up wrong and eventually decided to just charge me $0.50 for it!  It is cheap, but probably not that cheap!! 
Here is a picture of it:
Here is what you need:
4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped (I try to use the leafy inside ribs and throw the leaves in too!)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt & Pepper (if you have white pepper use that)
1 large celery root, peeled and chopped into 1 in cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream

Start by melting butter in large pot.  Add in onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf and saute on med/low heat.  Season with salt and pepper.  You want the veggies to become translucent not browned.  Once they are cooked add in celery root and turn up heat.  Saute celery root pieces for about 2 minutes and then cover with chicken broth and put the lid on your pot.  Return heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until you can easily insert a fork through celery root.  Remove bay leaf.  Now its time to puree your soup.  A stick blender will work, but to get the smoothest consistency use your blender.  Because your soup is very hot make sure to do small batches and be careful when removing lid that you don't burn your self.  Once all the soup is pureed and smooth, return to pot and stir in your cream.    Your soup is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment