Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guacamole...that will stay GREEN

A chef perk I received recently was when my hubby walked in the door with a bag of avocados and oranges one of his regulars brought to the restaurant for him.  I love oranges...well, anything citrus so the boys and I had fun eating those last week!  The avocados were all green and hard as a rock, I wasn't even sure they would ever soften up and be good to eat, Casey told me to be patient and he was RIGHT!  So, I made a big batch of guacamole with some chicken tacos for dinner and it was delicious!!

Now, how often have you made guacamole only to have it turn brown and gross looking half way through your party?  I know I have and so many parties I have been to I have seen this happen.  Putting the pit in it does NOT work!  But, today I will share with you the hint that my chef taught me and you will never have to worry about brown guacamole again.  The secret? Olive Oil.  Who knew, right?  Just a little drizzle of olive oil and my guacamole was still green and tasting great 2 days after I made it!

Everyone has their favorite recipe so if you love your recipe you can continue to make it your way, just drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil in it and stir it up.  If you want to try a new recipe I have included the way The Overtons make it below :)
Ingredients:
3 avocados, cubed
1/2 jalapeno, diced super small
1/4 onion, diced small
1 garlic clove, smashed into a paste or finely grated
3 tablespoons, chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
heavy pinch of salt
fresh ground pepper

In a bowl combine jalapeno, onion and garlic with the lime juice and salt.  Stir this and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.  Then add the avocado, cilantro, olive oil and pepper.  Stir, but don't smash avocado.  Now enjoy your guacamole (now or later :) with some chips or with some yummy dinner.  I recommend storing in a bowl covered with plastic wrap pushed down so it is touching the guacamole so NO air gets in!

5 comments:

  1. You know what I would love to see? Pictures of your oh so delicious sounding recipes ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also avocados and you (plus Casey) reminds me of how Shannon always called the Wild Artichoke the Crazy Avocado

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some awesome tips my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica I totally forgot about the Crazy Avocado! So funny! I would take pictures...the problem is I normally have a kid grabbing my legs begging for the food as I cook so I just hurry and feed them and forget to take pictures :)
    Tracy- I'm glad you enjoy my tips :) (Well, Casey's tips...I just call them my own!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...yeah, I figured as much. Your recipes usually just sound so good that I can only imagine how good they look. Plus, making "gourmet" type recipes with kiddos? I didn't realize that it could be done!

    ReplyDelete